The brick-red coloured dried berry of the
Rudraksha tree (Elaeocarpus Ganitrus Roxb) has played a dominant role on
the Indian arena for a long time now. The name Rudra (terrible) aksha
(eye) connotes the effect of the seed on evil and its concomitants.
It is been proved beyond doubt that
Rudraksha cures many illnesses including those related to blood pressure
and heart. So powerful are the Rudraksha's protective powers that it can
actually protect the wearer from untimely death
Here is some very practical information
that you should be aware of before purchasing and using a Rudraksha.
• Duplicate Rudrakshas made from cardboard are flooding the market and
hence it is crucial to ensure that
one wears a genuine Rudraksha. It is
always preferable to purchase a Rudraksha from a known source.
• The best (and cheapest) form of the Rudraksha is available in Nepal. In
India it is widely available in
Vishakapatnam and Bhubaneshwar.
• If you do not know what type of Rudraksha you must choose, it is
advisable to go in for Ekmukhi
Rudraksha, which is the most powerful
• Once you have selected your Rudraksha, how do you know it is genuine?
Take this test. A fake
Rudraksha will float in water. A real one on the
other hand will settle at the bottom.
• Do not wear a Rudraksha that has been eaten by insects and pests.
• Do not wear a Rudraksha that is broken or chipped.
• A smaller Rudraksha is ideal for meditation and prayers. It is advisable
to use the bigger Rudraksha for
curing illnesses. Note: The effect of the Rudraksha is evident after forty days of wearing it!
• To clean your Rudraksha, keep it in a small bowl of milk with ghee and a
sprinkling of turmeric for at least
three days or 75 hr. Then keep it in
sunlight for a day and a half i.e. 35 to 40 hrs and then for one full day
at the temple or at the altar in your home, at the feet of the God you
worship. Then your Rudraksha is
ready to be worn.
• The Rudraksha should not be worn in the bathroom, in unhygienic places
or during sex.